Friday, April 06, 2007

What to read next?

Since it was left up to me to pick the next FSFS book.... I thought I had better throw some choices up here so we can get reading (seeing as how April is movin' right along).

Inspired by Andy's reference to Victorian Robots, perhaps we'd like to read a bit of Steampunk this month?

I highly recommend Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines, an ALA Notable Book, ALA Best Book for Young Adults, Washington Post Book World Best Book of the Year, Nestle Smarties Book Prize Gold Award, and maker of the Whitbread Children's Book Award Shortlist. Don't let the "youthfulness" of these awards make you shy away from this book. It is an excellent read for adults as well.

Otherwise, I am not sure what else to recommend beyond, perhaps, William Gibson and Bruce Sterling's The Difference Engine. This book earned 3/5 stars on Amazon.com but the reviews I read weren't particularly promising.

There are also some classics out there, like K.W. Jeter's Morlock Night and Michael Moorcock's The Warlord of the Air, but I am not sure about the availability of these titles.

As far as the date for the next meeting, I suggest sometime during the week of April 22 - 28 as a possibiliy.

Questions? Comments? Joys or concerns?

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

The Steampunk Trilogy is a pretty entertaining collection of three short stories.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home